Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Three Ton Gate BLOW HORN ...Why?

Comments

• Well 1/2 inch copper pipe fits inside the neck of the bottle. Any pipe will work. Iron, brass, lead.it is finding the right length that is the tricky part. Use plumbers putty to seal the gap between the pipe and bottle. Doesn't sound if there is a gap. The diaphragm doesn't seem to be needed. Just a steady stream of air blowing across the open pipe. Well steam could be used as well. Bottle upside down would allow water vapor to drain out.trying to figure out how to seal it so I can make it blow water out every so often. A geyser. I'll have to talk to my neighbor the glass blower and ask what options I have on sealing copper to the glass. Hot wax and a wick might work to seal the gap. Maybe some high temp sealant. Have to think about it.
    Still need to fix my buzz coil. Used magnets on the end to make it more responsive to the short pulse of current. It needs to be springy on the contacts. Like my swing hammer only works with that brass toilet rod acting like a spring. Then wrapped a iron wire around that so replacing the iron coil is a easy fix than replacing the rod as the current and iron start cutting.and helps the magnets go around the brass.
    A interesting (to me) I saw was the surface tension of the water inside the bottle around the pipe.looked like it was bending in and down into the pipe.
    Try to show it later if I get motivated. Not like I don't have a tripod to hold the bottle upside down with a pipe hanging out. Have to cut another pipe shorter than the one in the brown bottle.
    I was thinking earlier how I could drag up a triangle with three ropes in three trees
    Bottle is full of water and with just paper no leaks so far.
    I know if I plug that MOT into 120 volts it will spark from the copper pipe wrapped around the bottle to the ground by the copper pipe in the neck of the bottle.
    I just don't have wires to carry the current the short distance. I'll do a tune up on something and get some old plug wires. Best I ever did was 3 gaps. One as it jumped to the cap of bottle 1(filled both bottles with black iron oxide) then it would jump from the ends of the wire wrapped the bottles. The out the cap of bottle 2 back to the transformer. One of those bottles exploded. Apparently the glass gets hot spots and snap,crack, or pop goes the glass. Wine glasses take a minimum of four hours for me to wind.
    Kinda glad I am getting motivated to tinker with these things again, instead of watching them collect dust.
    I had no idea that those model T's made the spark more than actually needed.
    I wonder what a 16 inch pipe will do.
    Let you know later.
  • I have been thinking the second ring on the pipe beside Ed's wheel may have contained an upside down bottle such as one of the ones hung on the Tool room wall presently, I wonder if what you built above could be this part of the apparatus? I am unsure of how it would work together ...just a thought
  • Ones65118 said:

Actually it does look like something pinned up to their Left, could it be Ring Twice?

@Ones65118
    It could either be
    Ring Twice, like you said
    A form of a mezuzah

A small Klaf or paper is traditionally attached to the door jam based on the principles of deuteronomy
    'And thou shalt write them upon the door-posts of thy house, and upon thy gates'
    -as I write this I'm recalling Ed's famous numbers in his living quarters, positioned justly so in his doorway 6105195 7129

It it were a paper it could have either select verses of the bible perhaps to assist in the journey of Rock Gate Park

In some traditions it could also be a plaque or board

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mezuzah
  • Numbers 6:10 New International Version (NIV)

10 Then on the eighth day they must bring two doves or two young pigeons to the priest at the entrance to the tent of meeting.

Psalms 71:2-9
    In your righteousness, rescue me and deliver me;
    turn your ear to me and save me.
    3 Be my rock of refuge,
    to which I can always go;
    give the command to save me,
    for you are my rock and my fortress.
    4 Deliver me, my God, from the hand of the wicked,
    from the grasp of those who are evil and cruel.
    5 For you have been my hope, Sovereign Lord,
    my confidence since my youth.
    6 From birth I have relied on you;
    you brought me forth from my mother’s womb.
    I will ever praise you.
    7 I have become a sign to many;
    you are my strong refuge.
    8 My mouth is filled with your praise,
    declaring your splendor all day long.
    9 Do not cast me away when I am old;
    do not forsake me when my strength is gone.
  • edited April 2019
    It appears two years after the video was made Ed painted the new drawing on the door...Telescope erected 1941, film and pictures 1944, MC 1945 , Advertisement mentioning new drawing 1946 ...So 5 years after Telescope was erected ...What year was the SunDial put in? Did Ed do the etching on the end wall before the Sun door?

• My high tech nozzle. ;)

Side view.

Did I test and got my assistant to handle the camera while I let the tank dump from 80 psi down to less than five psi when it stopped sounding.

I will try to get to the hardware store and buy some 3/8's pipe and see how it works for a nozzle.

This is a 1/2 pipe nozzle. Used a butter knife as a spacer inside. Then a few extra taps after removing the butter knife at a slight angle with the hammer on the anvil.

Enjoy....
  • ... I've compared recent picture with old (both Code144) and I think the Ring Twice matches in alignment with Entrance door, I believe it to be the same sign, although shorter and rusted ...
  • My 16" pipe and my bottle that floated over from Asia. I checked the production codes. It was made in China I think. Didn't get a chance to try the other bottles or pipes. Not sure the angle of the nozzle to the pipe end 90. I was hoping the bottle should shatter like wine glasses when you hit the right note.
  • Another $20 spent. Well one dime short of $20. The guy didn't see the 1/2 to 3/4 fitting. Have to go back and pay for it. Getting the 1/4 nozzle to sound in the T fitting was a bit tricky. Have to kink the nozzle into the elbow. Then getting it to line up with the hole in the end cap was real fun.
    Blow on the 1/4 end on the left and sound comes out the left. The 3/4 pipe is adjustable on the fitting why the long 1/2 pipe on the right side of the T. So the bottle and the output is tunable. Really don't have to blow hard to get it to sound.
    What I came up with 2 hours after deciding to go to the hardware store.
  • Ones65118 said:

... I've compared recent picture with old (both Code144) and I think the Ring Twice matches in alignment with Entrance door, I believe it to be the same sign, although shorter and rusted ...

That makes sense @Ones65118
    With your last few posts shows good deductive reasoning.
    That means Ed was "defooled" only a few years before he died
    28 days in the hospital, lunar cycle?
  • 29 days in a lunar cycle. +/- a little.
    The Moon takes 27.3 days to orbit Earth, but the lunar phase cycle (from new Moon to new Moon) is 29.5 days. Average of the two is about 28.
  • Soon I should start cutting stones. Just have to get some thicker wire. That thin wire on those fan coils isn't allowing enough current to flow. Granted a speaker will buzz, but it is not being driven very hard. The light bulb doesn't even light. Which means not much current is flowing. The sun door is making more sense. Convinced 021 is the ideal spark gap. Just needs .021 thousandths of a inch spark gap. Wonder what a matchbook is. My father showed me how to set points with a matchbook. Striker to clean points and the flap to set the gap. Maybe I should try that....
    The clacker I am wondering if it the shape on the sun door. Center of gravity experiments.
    I think this setup needs rebuilt.

The shape is wrong, but the connections are correct. Ground to the pivot point. Left top screw connected to bottom right coil and the right screw connected to the left coil.

The sour cream container has nothing in it, hangs freely from the lines. The speaker doesn't touch while at rest. - of speaker to + of battery. + of speaker to - side of coils....now the only using one side of the battery makes sense since a ford buzz coil only fires on one side of the swing of the spring.
    I'll tinker with it more later.
    Right now I am working on the fountain. Was given a bunch of tubing and my glass working neighbor was kind enough to cut a 1/4 hole in the bottle for me in a half gallon jug. Funny how you can pump water to pump air. I will show the bubbler later. Have to make a video to show how it all works. With the drain slightly smaller than the inlet flow into the bottle it sucks air down with the water. I collect the tiny bubbles in a larger tube then pipe back into the water and get big bubbles. Have to see if I can get enough air pressure to blow thru a air stone.

I took off the bubble collector. Going to try some volume experiment's later. The bigger the volume displaced the larger the object needed for weight.
    Maybe notice the two sections of copper tubing. Transformer connects between the two. One lead to the spout, and the other on the drain line. Which path will the current take? Back through the pump, or through the bottle? If my fish start floating I guess I will know.
  • from the photos above of the gate the young lady is in the way of the text , do you have the full text in image please it would be most helpful thank you dvk
  • I have seen no picture with full text...I think it says "Ring Bell In Two Minutes Attendant Will Be Here"... That's my guess :)
  • three ton gate blow horn why ? being the initial question, it could be the answer is on the door behind it . firstly check out gabriels horn / torricellis trumpet for the visual also in the explanation someones been kind enough to draw what the math looks like , utube part of a d icke chat specific to the horn it came up when I googled it. id say it bears an uncanny resembalence to the wirery looking thing hanging by the bell , if I had your skills with the laptop I would be showing yous myself so my apologies , it is visible in the above black and white photo so I figure ed put it there for a reason.. ok the sketch on the door , look at the curve , now fold it and see the horn by bringing the top half down.. moving on to the clues ie sound ; ring bell ! blow horn ! it occours to me the door would be an ideal tonoscope to possibly for the 2nd or third time showing the sound . something that I missed earlier when doing the anagram at the other side of the entrance was that when ed says from line 2 what to do I took it literally at first though in math 432-440 can be seen or the other way 360-365 . so once again sound . human resonance no less, or planetary im trying to learn if also . putting together a tonoscope would be childs play for ed ( who could be heard singing to the stones ) maybe a horn under the sheet metal ? that's for the experts to try … anyhow its got rather noisy in that part of the castle which could be where he used it.. thereabouts, or theres no point leaving the imformation were he has.
    with eds dogdy use of grammer, the photos text is lost just for now I hope, though thank you ONE $ so its 021-earth to try figure next and so on +all the best dvk

'