Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Tesla Unveils Model 3

This car has a laser beam attached to it's head, but I'm on board with it.

Comments

• edited April 2016
    The most amazing thing I've ever seen !!! ....except this ..... please be seated ....

• Tesla model 4 --Pinto ...... made in mexico ......

• Now that's too funny. I thought his stutter was contrived to appear more humble
  • Here's an article on some of the pros and cons of the Model 3. One ugly consideration not mentioned is the 'charging time' and I don't believe Mr. Musk addressed it during the unveiling.

"With a range of 215 miles (346km) on the basic model, this is a car that is practical. I still personally believe that 400 miles (circa 644km) is the sweet spot for making electric cars really usable for long trips, but still, this is definitely not a city car (like all low cost EVs) and definitely can be used for a long trip".

The 200 mile plus capability seems adequate for commuter use, but even if there were a charging station within a 200 mile radius of any given point on the map, it still seems like things could get ugly at or on the way to the pump (for lack of a better word). Can this thing be charged to its 200 mile capacity in even under an hour? Could this create new opportunities for startup companies who want to help lighten the load? Ok, I'll stop.
  • Battery replacement ----$8,000 for 40 kWh batteries, $10,000 for 60 kWh batteries, and $12,000 for 85 kWh batteries

"Tesla itself said in a 2006 blog post that its Roadster packs would last for more than five years and be capable of covering 100,000 miles, with some decline in performance. The company estimated that a car that covered 50,000 miles over five years would have 70 percent capacity left."
  • 'Green' energy all right. $ave the world...
  • .....hehehe.....doh

• edited April 2016
    Tesla S
    Curb 2,100kg (4,630 lb) 60 and 85kWh, 18650 NCA cells of 3.4Ah; liquid cooled; 85kWh pack has 7,616 cells; battery weighs 540kg (1,200 lb); S-85 has 424km range (265 mi) 9h with 10kW charger; 120kW Supercharger, 80% charge in 30 min - from batteryuniversity.com

I'm no mathematician, but it looks like thats about 40 minutes for a complete charge. So the dynamic will change. Perhaps charging stations will become significant social centers that don't even charge to charge. Maybe this will help folks slow down a bit. Mobile charging fleets then might be where the moneys at. Uberish type stuff might work too...
  • Charlie, I will call your '....hehehe.....doh' with 'dahh!!!'

• "Charlie, I will call your '....hehehe.....doh' with 'dahh!!!'"

....and I like it ! ( you'll be missed for posting too many videos 'tho :o )
  • charlie said:

Battery replacement ----$8,000 for 40 kWh batteries, $10,000 for 60 kWh batteries, and $12,000 for 85 kWh batteries

"Tesla itself said in a 2006 blog post that its Roadster packs would last for more than five years and be capable of covering 100,000 miles, with some decline in performance. The company estimated that a car that covered 50,000 miles over five years would have 70 percent capacity left."

EDL said:

Reader, if for any reason you do not like the things I say in this little book, I left just as much space as I used, so you can write your own opinion opposite it and see if you can do better.

Can YOU do it better @charlie ?
  • edited April 2016
    "you can write your own opinion"

• see if you can do better.
  • edited April 2016
    Without "exploiting domestic animals, machinery, other people and natural resources." ? --probably not , but did well my way.

• With all your vast knowledge of Ed and his secrets... Why dont you put some coils and magnets together and do it better?