Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Trying to get all supplies Ed says to get.

Anyone ever get every supply listed? I’m sort of stuck with the hard steel fishing line that won’t coil. Any ideas where I can find this?

Thanks

Comments

• The last time I seen soft iron fishing wire was at a garage sale. I have only a small amount left from the old spool.

Bailing wire is the only thing I can find these day. If you find a good source let me know.
  • I thought steel fishing line was wound, like guitar string, which doesn't coil well...
    Has anyone tried steel guitar strings as a substitute for short lengths?
    Or am I wrong about steel fishing line?
  • I checked at a music store and they sell piano wire by the spool.

In construction, a fishing wire is a tool.

This is a iron fish tape AKA fishing wire.

During my sisters house remodel those fishing wires come in handy while running new electric wires in the walls.

I guess depending on who you talk to is the key to figuring out what type of fishing wire you need. I know for a long time I thought of only like steel leaders like you use while fishing for barracuda and sharks and piranhas.

I forget the pancake coil fishing wires. Pull starters in lawnmowers use spring steel. Just add heat and they aren't as springy.

I actually have a couple of recoil springs I could experiment with.
  • The last time I seen soft iron fishing wire was at a garage sale. I have only a small amount left from the old spool.

Bailing wire is the only thing I can find these day. If you find a good source let me know.

Ed says to get hard steel not soft. I looked it up and apparently hard steel has more carbon? So would hard carbon steel wire work?
  • Put a magnet by it. I know some Steel alloys aren't magnetic.

Harbor freight item #08895
    Is steel wire that isn't magnetic.
    The difference in soft wire and hardened wire is the ability to bend and shape.
    https://www.wallworkht.co.uk/content/harden_and_temper/
    Not sure if you would find this useful.
    Maybe I should fire up the barbecue and show how the process is done?

Definition. Hard Iron: Hard iron is iron that is difficult to demagnetize once magnetized. Soft Iron: Soft iron is iron that is easily magnetized and demagnetized with a small change of magnetic field.
  • I honestly didn't know the difference between hard and soft iron, at least if that is what Ed meant by it.
    But it makes perfect sense.
    Thanks, I'll have to give that a thought.