Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is soft iron?

"Now you see the soft iron has a lot to do to make magnetic currents."

What exactly is considered soft iron, and where can I get things like bars, wires, tubes?
Are car axles soft iron?
Is there anyone who makes things with soft iron?

Comments

• Transformer cores are the best source. Look around and you can find plates.
  • This is what you need: https://www.mcmaster.com/8920K311-8920K572/

This material and its cohorts are easy to get, the challenge is finding a local place that will cut it and bend it... you'll need to do some legwork -I got mine bought and fabricated for 120 Federal Reserve Notes, in Printed Cellulose Rectangular Format.

look for places that fix truck frames or manufacture U-Bolts MIGHT have the equipment needed, cause to bend that diameter in a carbon alloy, they'll have the press but they might not be able to do more than 1" diameter. Make sure that the dimensions are absolutely on the spot, AND that the choice of cutting or bending first is planned with your operator, because if the bend is just 1mm off, then the keeper wont lock and re-bending that Soviet sized bolt will require a tire jack if you're off inward...outward= good luck. so ideally you should bend, then cut, then have them grind/polish the ends, you want to make sure you leave the shop with a smooth, flat, even horizontal surface on the legs- have a keeper bar on hand to test prior to leaving - or bring the material and they'll cut it along, i think my square keeper is the same as the bar... or maybe not... some crappy low budget steel, i think it was A36 (its marked with red paint and very generic). working with that material is very difficult to make 'big' adjustments with home tools. at best you want to just have to do maybe a bit of fine filing and a lot of sanding at home.
  • dracul4u said:

This is what you need: https://www.mcmaster.com/8920K311-8920K572/

This material and its cohorts are easy to get, the challenge is finding a local place that will cut it and bend it... you'll need to do some legwork -I got mine bought and fabricated for 120 Federal Reserve Notes, in Printed Cellulose Rectangular Format.

look for places that fix truck frames or manufacture U-Bolts MIGHT have the equipment needed, cause to bend that diameter in a carbon alloy, they'll have the press but they might not be able to do more than 1" diameter. Make sure that the dimensions are absolutely on the spot, AND that the choice of cutting or bending first is planned with your operator, because if the bend is just 1mm off, then the keeper wont lock and re-bending that Soviet sized bolt will require a tire jack if you're off inward...outward= good luck. so ideally you should bend, then cut, then have them grind/polish the ends, you want to make sure you leave the shop with a smooth, flat, even horizontal surface on the legs- have a keeper bar on hand to test prior to leaving - or bring the material and they'll cut it along, i think my square keeper is the same as the bar... or maybe not... some crappy low budget steel, i think it was A36 (its marked with red paint and very generic). working with that material is very difficult to make 'big' adjustments with home tools. at best you want to just have to do maybe a bit of fine filing and a lot of sanding at home.

Thanks what is steel fishing line that I could order right now?
  • @NorthSouth Home depot has 24 gauge galvanized still wire.

What is iron? Whatever it is it's probably the most special. My understanding is that all of the elements are trying to become like iron. Elements that have fewer electrons than iron will try to gain electrons and elements that have more electrons will lose them in an attempt to become more like iron.

I make my PMHs out of cold rolled steel plate and have them either water-jetted or machined. Water jetting has cone a long way. Its cheaper than maching and some shops cane cut 3" steel plate. The finish isn't as good but a little elbow grease goes a long way.

With either of these methods i haven't noticed any difference molecullarly than that of bent rod/bar that may effect any of Leedskalnin's experiments.
  • edited March 2022
    Here's a 2/3 scale version I'm just about finished with that was water-jetted out of 1" plate. You can see there's a small burr along the perimeter of one of the edges, but otherwise not too bad and an easy fix. This one will be stamped number 7. 3 or 4 hours of polishing and it will really shine. I always polish first then stamp, then file the prongs by hand to make them perfectly flush with the keeper bar.

Hers number 5 and 6 that recently shipped to Australia.

• dracul4u said:

Thanks what is steel fishing line that I could order right now?
    https://www.mcmaster.com/ should have just about everything you need hardware wise for materials.

The problem is fabrication... but, if you completely stick to the dimensions and the materials and the fabrication instructions by ED, it will work and work really well , just make sure your leg edges line up so that keeper rectangle bar can land flat and tight on the legs.
  • thi

Here's a 2/3 scale version I'm just about finished with that was water-jetted out of 1" plate. You can see there's a small burr along the perimeter of one of the edges, but otherwise not too bad and an easy fix. This one will be stamped number 7. 3 or 4 hours of polishing and it will really shine. I always polish first then stamp, then file the prongs by hand to make them perfectly flush with the keeper bar.

Those are very nice. WHy not make the coils longer? the length of the bar? Would it make it a stronger magnet? I would like to stack 3 coils on a bar magnet. middle one out of phase. Would the field start looking like a torus, or dna?

That green film used to see fields. is it seeing both north and south direction at the same time? Is there a way to observe that?

• Oh, that's it? it's magnetic? I thought this was all tin/aluminum alloy stuff.