Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Edward Leedskalnin - 2nd photo of him with his flywheel

There were a series of photos published in 1950, this was one of them.
It looks like it was part of a magazine
I know Ed was a traditional Mason(in an operative sense) I suspect Julius Levin was a next generation Mason.
I have not compared side by side the two photos of Ed and his flywheel. I think @Ones you would find this interesting

Comments

• These are amazing Dante! Wow excellent, excellent :)
  • Ones65118 said:

These are amazing Dante! Wow excellent, excellent :)

Yes, wow @dante !
  • Do you think the generator is charged and they are observing the effects in two areas or are they just admiring the machine? I feel Ed has spun the wheel and is now showing them the effects
  • Great to see this different angled shot, I would say for sure that is a bottle mounted on the pipe, also the large hook is not hanging directly over pipe or even necessarily near....interesting interesting
  • Was there an article that went with the photos at Ed's Place? maybe one that went with the flywheel pic too? Great stuff!
  • That's what I was thinking also. They are all looking up at the same thing. One guy seems to be looking into the reaction.
  • The photos that were posted from Ed's Place didn't have an article, it was a photo and a caption unfortunately.
    There was a smaller article regarding the photo above, with three other photos of Ed in his bathtub, 9 ton gate, and chair. I will post or send late night, I'm mobile and not on the home pc
  • @Ones that's pretty cool, I haven't had time to compare yet -bottle
    The hook was either added shortly after a demonstration?
  • Yes I don't see the small hook that hangs over the wheel either, the larger hook there off the hoist I always thought was hung directly above the pipe and bottle but here at this angle it appears it does not
  • "There was a smaller article regarding the photo above, with three other photos of Ed in his bathtub, 9 ton gate, and chair. I will post or send late night, I'm mobile and not on the home pc" That sounds great Dante ...Many many Thanks!
  • Ones65118 said:

Great to see this different angled shot, I would say for sure that is a bottle mounted on the pipe, also the large hook is not hanging directly over pipe or even necessarily near....interesting interesting

@Ones65118 Good eye, and he appears to have used uninsulated iron wire on at least a few of them.

• There is a ring hung on wall or leaned up, it does not look like the one that has the mesh attached to it which is presently in tool room, In the well known picture of Ed at his wheel I think the white strip we see on his wall behind the wheel is the ROCK GATE sign stood up on end, I wonder if the rock gate sign was made of metal as well?
  • @Magnetic_Universe
    I don't understand the purpose of the bottles with the wire wrapped around them, especially if they are uninsulated. This leads me to believe he took many bottles and grouped them together in order to form a network or pattern?
    Soft iron - I assume that is also hard to come by these days?
  • Any of you remember Benjamin Franklin's iron rod in a bottle full of water experiment? When lightning hits the rod if you go and touch the side of the bottle you will see a spark fly off the bottle when you touch it. The torpedo fish and the huge 800 cell battery Voltaire had in a basement. Apparently a torpedo fish produces around 240 volts of bioelectricity.

Soft iron is very hard to find, most is hardened iron, carbon steel.

I never really understood how Leyden jars worked, I know there is a MIT video showing the charge is stored in the glass not the metal plates. If I find it I will post it. I wish I could find the report of concrete exploding from walls because the way the building was grounded.
    Not sure how many times I tried recording the spark that would leave the glass and jump into the coil. The wine glass gap video you can clearly see the current traveling from the funnel shaped coil to the inside of the wine glass. You can't see the base of the top glass jumping to the inside of the second wine glass, I put water in the bottom glass. They don't seem to explode from thermal shock when water is in them. I'll never forget the first time I seen the vortex the coil was making even if a spark wasn't jumping the gap. The surface tension of the water would spin in the direction of the coil on the wine glass. One transformer lead to the base and the other hang over the center of the glass just out of reach of the spark. I used some black iron oxide I had coated in soapy water then let it dry and sprinkled some on the water in the wine glass and the vortex it was producing was easy to see. Like watching leaf's blowing in the wind. As far as coiling goes on bottles, a warm bottle does collect as much wax as a cold bottle when dipped in hot wax. Bee's wax is better than paraffin wax as bee's wax is sticky and holds the wire to the glass. I always finished mine in polyurethane for a top coat but rags dipped in wax would work to hold them in place. Yes the decompose over time and you are left with wire wrapped around glass. I did wine glasses cause I know the shape causes a wide frequency range. Kinda like stereo's use capacitors to filter the frequency going to the different speakers. Subwoofers you use a choke, and tweeters use capacitor's. A subwoofer can't move fast because of it size and burn up. Tweeters can't move slow or they burn up. So is a coiled bottle a choke or a capacitor? Or is it both.