Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ed's Place Original Map Layout

edited August 2015 in Edward Leedskalnin
Could be a lot more accurate and to scale but here is a basic look at how Ed's Place would have been set up as far as I can tell... so far

Comments

• Hi Ones65118,

I don't understand what you're trying to do here? As far as the placement of objects, the map supplied by Coral Castle and widely available online is accurate except it is drawn rectangular while the place is actually square.

Also, there are aerial photos, so I'm just interested to know what your goal is. I personally wish there were dimensions (wall to wall, corner to corner) available. I tried to get it while there a year or so ago using a phone app but was unsuccessful.
  • Hi Flem this is Ed's Place his original before he moved everything, There never was a map done for it and it has been a bit of a mystery till now. This is where A Book In Every Home was written, after 1936 Something changed and Ed decided the monumental task of moving everything and changing the layout. This was Ed's true masterpiece and home, and home is where the heart is.... He spent around twenty years here and I feel it is important not to forget his first intentions/impressions. Ed built the towers and a number of walls with small rocks here and was a great accomplishment on it's own. He also carved most of the other large pieces here and when all was moved the ADM sign was left behind by Ed ... in later years the sign was moved to Rock Gate after Ed's passing...... It was here in this forum looking at the second printing of Ed's little book that everything started falling in to place so to say but I still want to get it more accurate... I hope to find more pictures of the twenties and early thirties at Ed's Place. ....... Measurements are not allowed at the park (coral castle) I find it a little strange, ... one has to look through coral castles old old message board I think there was measurements there before they started stopping everyone from measuring. Using your app was a good idea it is a shame it did not work. I put out a video on that map and it being rectangular (and the Florida table) was the clues I used... The problem is I do not know if Ed drew that map or not (the Rock Gate /coral castle one), but whomever did, did it that way for a reason...I think. So now we have a way to compare them both and within that should lead to more clues as to why he moved and why they were both set up differently.
  • I think Ed had to orient the stones to the cardinal points
    It would take time, but have you Google mapped his original location? Apparently elements are still there at his old place, hard to see with all the overgrown trees.
    Perhaps certain stones were meant to face a certain direction, North, east, south or west, and in relation to one another. Good luck, a noble task.
  • Hi Dante, Thanks. Yes I have googled it before.
  • Building beside the Living Quarters above is/was Ed's workshop. Also Ed had wires strung up at this time he said he received his "music from the Heavens" . All pictures are from around 1932 by 1935 Ed said he was finished. Then he wrote a book or perhaps through the years he was writing it..... The map above is accurate it just needs much more detailing and a few tweeks such as I am not sure where EnTrance to Living quarters is for sure and main EnTrance.
  • Is it Ed's BBQ beside the Obelisk or something else? It was moved.. so what is it?
  • Ones65118 said:
    WOW! that's totally incredible! Sketchup! :)
    I was always dreaming of doing CC 3d model...

Will it be then available somehow, when finished?
  • Gardener said:

Ones65118 said:
    WOW! that's totally incredible! Sketchup! :)
    I was always dreaming of doing CC 3d model...

Will it be then available somehow, when finished?
    Yes I would like to make it available, I'm just not sure how to go about that yet. I will make a new video with all the improvements, changes and sources and then I will figure out what to do after that. Sketchup is still very new to me, and my PC was down for a month so I'm a bit behind, but it is an amazing experience and sketchup is a brilliant tool. :) :)
  • This is awesome ones65118! I must have missed your response to me and just ran into this. I can't help but think that a thought I had a while back is true and that is that the ADM sign represents Ed's sweet sixteen... Since it was left behind and Ed said he left her behind.
    I've been interested in the moon fountain for a long time, especially the raised edge on one side of the rim. Are you fairly certain of its orientation as you've placed it?
  • @Ones65118 This is not just awesome... It's the best i've seen here since we've started this forum!
  • flem said:

This is awesome ones65118! I must have missed your response to me and just ran into this. I can't help but think that a thought I had a while back is true and that is that the ADM sign represents Ed's sweet sixteen... Since it was left behind and Ed said he left her behind.
    I've been interested in the moon fountain for a long time, especially the raised edge on one side of the rim. Are you fairly certain of its orientation as you've placed it?

Matt, in SketchUp, you can actually position, orientate and scale your buildings correctly as they are referenced to "sat" imagery from GEarth.

• flem said:

This is awesome ones65118! I must have missed your response to me and just ran into this. I can't help but think that a thought I had a while back is true and that is that the ADM sign represents Ed's sweet sixteen... Since it was left behind and Ed said he left her behind.

Hi Flem, I feel Ed;s Sweet Sixteen appeared or was spotted by Ed at Ed's Place, this may have confirmed something to Ed such as a cycle of time ...something shook Ed up before Mr. Moser passed away ...Ed may have been upset at what he saw or what he did not see, maybe even at this time he realized he built in an imprecise spot ...Something disturbed Ed and the people just assumed it was because his love denied him again, Ed never spoke of it but "stopped all work on the foundation he was building for "Sweet Sixteen" " He then set his work to building his "unusual" stone furniture. ...He was very proud of the ADM. sign, it is strange he left it behind as he even took his entire wooden shack off the foundation tower and transported it to the new location... He left a few other carvings "plugged" in at the site to ...in effect both sites may have remained connected to eachother in this way which is another thought.
    The Moon Fountain is orientated as close as I can see when referencing the old photographs/postcards. I estimated the scale and all was derived from the old photos and video of Ed that was featured on In Search Of (the castle of secrets), some guess work was involved, the beds, heart table and bbq and a couple other things are not precise yet, but to the best of my knowledge should be very close... I need to know where Ed made the Well on that property, that is the one thing I cannot place yet. Have a great day :)
  • @Ones65118 This is just a great 3D work. I am wondering, if and when you'd make it available (at least for us), to be able to view CC in 3D and not just photos...
    Many thanxs