Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

diamagnetism vs paramagnetism

edited September 2012 in General Science
I've been trying to apply Ed's ideas to a well known phenomena of diamagnetism. We all know water is diamagnetic, meaning no matter from which side you approach a drop of water it will always repel itself away from the magnet. If you change the polarity of the magnet water still repels.

from what i know hydrogen molecules are diamagnetic, and oxygen molecules - paramagnetic
my question is why individual oxygen atoms (aka "perpetual motion holders" according to Ed's ideas) do not re-orient themselves in such a way to be NATURALLY attracted to the magnet? (as it presumably happens in metals)

The bottom line is, what's the fundamental difference between atoms of diamagnetic and paramagnetic materials? Can geometry play a role here? If so, how?

ps
I know the "official" scientific explanation of these phenomena that involves odd and even numbers of electrons flying around the nucleus but hey, the standard model of an atom doesn't really satisfy my inquiries. That's why i decided to create a topic on this forum in the first place. Thank you everyone for your time and attention
This discussion has been closed.