Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A Sound Magnetic Base

Comments

• Jehovajah said:

That these surfaces are dy amic at all scales is masked by a relativity of motion that is scale dependent, and which is only seriously addressed by the so called Rayleigh number of a material,fluid continuum .

What is Rayleigh number? I guess you meant Reynolds number
  • Jehovajah said:

you share with me your golden nuggets of thought and empirical data from actual experiments , for which I am grateful .

I get a lot from this conversation too, so I am grateful no less.

I'll give you just one example of how much I benefit from the discussions at the magnetic universe forum. I have spent a lot of time thinking about Laithwaite's big wheel experiment, which led me to a conjecture:
    Laithwaite's mechanism could be used for converting the energy of rotational motion into the energy of translational motion in open space, i.e. it could become the basis for constructing a propulsion system where a relatively small amount of jet reaction is used as a trigger mechanism for converting the energy of fast rotational motion into the energy of translational motion of the rocket, while the rotational motion itself is sustained by mass-less, or nearly mass-less means like electricity or nuclear energy.
    Ultimately, this was culminated in a patent application, which was published just a few days ago: Method and system for in-space propulsion based on the principles of inverted sling and separation of propulsion energy from reaction mass.

• edited December 2016

We can see here what Ivor Catt, after Kuhn, documents as knowledge empires! The social prowess and patronage drawing power of certain hypotheses and theories explains the evolution of the status quo in science.

The magnetic Universe to my knowledge was a proposition of Sir Robert Boyle, on which he published several books and treatises .

http://www.famousscientists.org/robert-boyle/

Boyles thinking on the atmosphere around corporeal bodies and the powers within and underneath those atmospheres
  • edited December 2016

What is Rayleigh number? I guess you meant Reynolds number
    Thank you Barau . That is correct .

As to your patent: I am very pleased to know that communications between us all result in triggering patent applications or deeper thought on a particular aspect of technology.
    In the early academic era Tekne or the mechanically minded and gifted were of a lowly but vital status to the thinker and explorer of principles, by reason alone! But it is my experience that the artisan is the more rounded of the two, and indeed some of our revered thinkers are noted as polymaths, because they were capable in so many areas both academic and practical .

As I am not very practical, I like to explore practical findings and demonstrations, and professor Laithwaite was a childhood hero of mine after I watched his series of Christmas lectures as they were broadcast!

It was his treatment by his academic fellows that alerted me to something rotten in academic science! Thank God for the Internet and YouTube Vimeo and other self publishing and broadcasting mediums.

It is my opinion that rotation is fundamental to any and all propulsion in all mediums at all Reynolds numbers!

• Ultimately, this was culminated in a patent application, which was published just a few days ago: Method and system for in-space propulsion based on the principles of inverted sling and separation of propulsion energy from reaction mass.

WOW! congratulations! i was always wondering how does one apply for a patent and what it takes at all to do so...

Could you please shed some light on that?

Many thanxs

• edited December 2016
    Gardener said:

I was always wondering how does one apply for a patent and what it takes at all to do so... Could you please shed some light on that?

All it takes is a little luck and three easy steps :smile:
    (1) Get a patentable idea;
    (2) Work out mathematical and technical details;
    (3) Apply for a patent following Patent Application Filing Guide.

• @Barau_R_Tour thanxs... what about costs?
  • @Gardener

Costs depend on the status (which in turn depends on your income) that you qualify for. Answers to any questions you might have regarding patent application can be found in the Patent Application Filing Guide - you just have to spend some time drilling through it. In particular, regarding the costs, scroll down to the heading Fee Discounts Based on Establishment of Small or Micro Entity Status.

Most patent applicants pay regular undiscounted patent fees: $1600
    If you qualify for Small Entity Status: $800;
    If you qualify for Micro Entity Status: $400;

So if you do everything right and avoid all unnecessary fees, you'll end up paying at the very least $400. That's the absolute minimum.
  • @Barau_R_Tour
    Thank you very much, that saved me a lot of reading!
    Thanxs

• Plasma physics describes " double layers"
    This is a new terminology for pairs of electrical potential.. . In short we are referring to di electricity.
    Dielectric materials are said to separate charge into two opposites . So any material that separates charge is called a dielctric . Unfortunately thisb is then confuduswd with insulators dielectrics exist in all spaces

Thus even thoug no dipole of + and - specifically exists the differences in voltages is effective the sae s
  • Gilbert drilled into the magnetic behaviours he collected and distinguished their virticity ( power or energy to do work) into lodestone crystal power and elektra crystal power. That is into inorganic crystals and organic crystals.
    Of the lodestone type he was able to establish the ferrous ores asthe most potent, but nowadays we revel in the rare earth crystalline structures. These always produced magnetic behaviour that was highly polarised or rather polarisable, for nautical Instrumentation. There was really not much other use of magnetism until Faraday.

The elektra type Gilbert spent little time on exploring, as there was no known use. However he did distinguish di elektra , two opposite types of magnetic behaviour which were less polarisable , being spread over the surfaces of these crystals more diffusely and not aligned to the navigation of the globe of earth!

The importance of dielectra magnetism grew with the spark! Volta really became the expert on dielectra magnetism, creating many important dielectric devices for producing and measuring its power . Franklin also was a recognised expert in dielectric behaviour.

It was Voltas enthusiastic explanation of the electric spark that was viciously rejected by Gambastini, a Franklinite, who otherwise plays very little role in the development of dielectric power and machines , to my knowledge. He serves to hinder the Young Volta from making any further progress academically in that area, which perhaps set him up to be able to do the laborious work of testing material for naturally and continuously producing an electric flame, based on Galvanis work and hypotheses, and his own by then extensive knowledge of dielectric materials, often called the triboelectric series, but again better considered more generally as tribomagnetic behaviours.

That dielectric material are generally not affected by the virticity of the earth , is a distinction carried too far, for many so called magnetic materials are also very easily affected by strong local dielectric power as well as by strong local magnetic power, especially if the material is pointed like a needle, giving it a definite "polarity " potential.

What is then intriguing is the long range and fluid power of the lodestone crystal type over the local extensive nature of the electratype.

It is if course now known to be an indistinguishable dynamic , except that some noted the phase difference in the force reaction. What we call electric behaviour is defined as being 90° out of spatial direction to the motion of a line of wire icutting a line of magnetic polarity. .

It was not until design of aero/ hydrofoil surfaces became significant that any vorticular explanation for this observed behaviour became possible, and then mathematically depict able by Claes Johnon, et al.
    It is well known how vortices created at the wing edge migrate to the wing tip of an aero foil , but also trailing wing edge vortices also form and combine with the wing tip ones , creating drag on the wing .

Thus the dielectric effect is explainable in terms of magnetic behaviour on a conductor once the dynamical notion is made paramount to the static one.

Magneto statics and electrostatics as subject boundaries were never going to meet, until the crossover revelation proposed by Ōrsted, but in the main ignored in favour of Ampères redaction of it into a mathematical law.

Later it was necrssary to complete the work Ampere left unfinished . Despite the fundamental insight of the existence of circular force vectors vis a vis the prevailing French doctrine of straight line forces, mathematically it becomes formulaically Indistinct..
    The algebra becomes virtually the same, and thus mathematically trivial after a while.
    Physically however, it is far from trivial or repetitive ! It is satisfyingly fractal!

Merry Xmas

• Gold, frankincense and myrrh ? No, but merry Christmas anyway !
  • edited December 2016
    It's thought provoking that calcium is not diamagnetic and that it's classified as a metal. I remember knocking on one of Ed's chairs at the Castle and being confounded that it had somewhat of a metallic echo type sound. Nemoy says Ed made the Castle from Oolite, which is 'commonly comosed of calcium carbonate according to wikipedia.
  • edited December 2016
    The organic crystals that traditionally show Electra magnetism are a particular group of polymer compounds of mixed proportions of Terpenes , generally called resins

Topically for this season. Included amongst them are Frankincense and Myrrh .

The viscosity of these materials is notable, and their ability to crystallise into a hardened form utilised in many projects requiring moulded orm. The crystallisation often begins with polymerisation , a very regular atomic structure of long chains of molecules, which may be kept separate in a solvent , but which crystallise into for able lattice shapes when the solvent and terpene olatiles are remove.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resin
    There magnetic behaviours typically have bern termed as dialectic .

The material study of them is typically not well known, but the so called tribo electic table contains many polymer based organic material.

The organic chemistry of the materials reveals the complexity of magnetic behaviours and patterns that typically are called electric

The craziness of the magnetic patterning is revealed in recent finding of X-rays being produced by removing sellotape from a surface.

The benzoin ring structure in many molecular models of polymers of this type, typically model the vorticular dynamic of magnetic behaviour.