Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ed Leedskalnin at his flywheel

2»

Comments

• NodeMCU is actually a mini computer with WiFi and many I/Os (input outputs). Well not as many as Arduino does, but a handful. So you can basicaly make it anything you want to.
    A controller for motors, driver for servos, reader of sensors, wireless accesspoint, webserver.
    All you can combine them all together and do something cool with it.

Here’s my chicken coop mobile app as an example:

• Gardener said:

Solid state relay. No mechanical contact. No arc.
    Can switch at high frequencies.

Gardener said:

@Magnetic_Universe and as a solid state relay, you can get one of these:
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/TSR-25AA-SSR-25AA-Three-Phase-Solid-State-Relay-AC90-280V-Input-Control-AC-30-480V/32813943494.html

That is a 3 phase relay, each phase can handle 25A, so you would connect them in parallel to get 75A current throughput.

Is that enough?
    If not, connect as many as necessary in parallel.

How do you control the frequency?
  • Program the MCU would be my guess. Micro Controller Unit-MCU. Myself, a car battery, a car stereo amp, laptop to the input of the amp. Microphone on laptop inputs slightly to output to amp, signal generator on laptop. How do you express one cycle every two seconds? 1 hz is one cycle in one second. Half Hertz? .5 hz interesting.
  • @g11 Yes, and that's what would be necessary to make something like this efficiently controllable.

I've mentioned this before - the pulse width modulator is only capable of 10hz adjustments so moving from 30hz to 40hz kills the timing. Once up to speed it may only require .5hz depending on the load. Similar to Ed's wheel, I synced it at 30hz by spinning it by hand.

I've since sold this contraption, but if I decide to build Ed's best machine it would need to be powered and timed similarly. I don't know much about the industry but it seems like this momentum based design would be good for space applications?