Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ed's Best Machine

Suppose you had a wheel and many coils around the wheel turning, then you would. be making all kinds of light. Do not make the machine, I already have the application for patent in the Patent Office. I made ten different machines to make magnetic currents, but I found this combination between field magnets and coils the most efficient.

Comments

• Testing a few concepts in preparation for the best machine build - getting closer.

• Making some progress. My new PWM arrived today so we'll see what happens....
  • Hi Matt,
    Could you please post a link to that PWM?
    I'd need one as well...
    Thanx
    M.
  • Friend, Your design resembles a hydro-electric generator used in about every power plant I have been inside. There is brushes powering the exciter coils on the rotor in the middle of the rotor, the lines going out to the "coils" on the edges of the 20+ foot wide rotor. THIS powers the electro magnets
    as they spin. I know this because I put on a tyvek suit and crawled around on the rotor hooking up test leads to the coils to high-pot them for leakage/continuity. (Several times) The dust is supposedly carcinogenic in there. I thought I was bulletproof at one time.

The outer "stator" coils there, not actually a U-shaped electro magnet as Ed lays out, but a curved one with a large winding to pick off the transmission power on one end of the magnetic field. This stator is protected in the power plant by a air housing that circulates cooling air around it all. Working in this housing while in operation, the 4 inch cresent wrench I have carried since youth "twitches" in my pocket really un-nerving me. (getting close to the family jewels) There's something alive in my pocket was the first time thoughts.

The way to "gain" on energy generated? turn your coils sideways as "Ed did" to gather "both sides of the field" North and south of the electromagnet into the "prongs" of the horseshoe magnet armature. This will generate the energy more so in the coils on the Horseshoe by picking off both "end fields". To increase "cooling" put several of the horseshoe electromagnets around the perimeter parallel and in time with the rotor coils.

The brushes used in the rotor are normally used for the low current application of power to the coils, not in energy pick up and transmission. I have no clue how yours is planned.

The power plant is synchronized with the transmission lines by using the line waveform to "power the exciter" coils, there is a Throttling system (wicket gates) operated by a big cylinder in the pit over the turbine to keep it running at proper speed. As the plant is brought online, they have a gimball of the two waveforms they manually adjust before throwing it "online". It is a big "snap" and power blink when it is first threw online that shakes the whole concrete structure of the dam. No matter where I was working I jumped everytime it came online or offline.

The old horizontal systems, Oconee hydro plants 1,2,3 a sideways turbine, originally had a "ball govenor" on them like a steam engine. I got a picture somewheres if you want me to hunt it up. Very beautiful.

A car alternator is 3phase, works really similar like. Has brushes to power the fields going to the rotor, the three phase coils are tied into diodes and controlled these days by a electronic regulator there inside. The pre-65 gm alternators used a external regulator, during the blizzard of 93 here I used my hotrod a 64 el camino to generate power to run a skil saw to cut up some firewood for the stove so myself and my buddies kids would be warm. The alternator running wide open put out about 85 volts dc at 3500 rpm on the chevy. The skil saw never got hot. (brush motor).

I hope all this helps a bit, if there is anything I can do to further your experiments along lemme know.
    I know most is irrelevant, but there is tidbits in the post perhaps you can use.
  • Ed's generator. Sitting here sketching the electromagnetic waveform coming off the "wheels coils" that rotating into-out of the Horseshoe magnetic poles, it is the most perfect pulse generator I could envision. The "two" magnetic fields envelope the iron-magnetic core at the same time. This would polarize each side of the armature of the horseshoe with opposing magnetic fields. The magnetics would rush around the horseshoe to cancel each other out, creating electricity in the horse-shoe coils by passing the windings at 90 degrees. (makes me want to agree with Ed, near perfection)

The only thing I could see to collect the magnetic waves better would be a pair of donkey-ears on the ends of the horseshoes. (really)

Putting a sequence of coils around the moving armature with horseshoe pick ups and the current would really go up. If you were really serious about making power? you could limit the inbrush power and include some of the mega capacitors that recently came on the market on the coils. (amazing amount of power they hold, like a battery, hundreds of amps) That would eliminate a lot of the waste in keeping the coils all charged. It would also save on the brush decay. A timed brush split commutator would be useless if you planned on more Horseshoe pickup around the perimeter.

Shaped like magnetic fields? I have this old drill press made in the late 1800s. It had a electric motor with wooden staves in the coils, tied with what looked like beeswax string, it was a flat oval looking motor, not a cylindrical one like they all are today, perhaps that is the G spot of magnetics in motors and generators. They assembled the rounded coils around the armature. Telsa's old transformers were shaped like a oval or figure 8 also, like the magnetic fields are.

Makes me want to build one too.
  • edited April 2013
    Thank you for your fascinating posts, please keep them coming! When you refer to my design resembling a hydro-electric generator are you referring to the best machine or the video I posted? Neither are actually my design - the motor/generator in the video is a replica (for the most part) of Tesla patent 464,666. The best machine is based entirely off of Ed description and the experiments leading up to it.

For the Tesla design I made a transparency copied directly from the patent and blew it on an overhead projector. I then traced it onto a poster board to make a stencil. I traced the stencil onto a 3' square piece of 1" cold rolled steel plate and cut the entire armature out with a torch. What I cut out of the center I used to make the rotor. I used a hand grinder with a cutting wheel to notch out the radials on the rotor. This was painstaking and dangerous, but it worked with the limited tools that I had. I also used the the hand grinder to get the armature as close as possible before having a friend clean it up with a mill. All of the aluminum I cut with a band saw from 1" aluminum plate and that wasn't much fun either. I went with this type of rotor design because I thought that it would be an easy and efficient way to get rotation, especially with my limited understanding. To get the rotor to spin without a commutator and without magnets I ran the current through the entire motor and then used the rotor to time it (essentially now pulsed DC). You can imagine my excitement when I got it to spin for the first time. Here we are a few years later and I'm using the same concept to power the best machine. Although pulse width modulation technology is just not quite there yet to really pinpoint the timing and control the speed, but I'm working on it :). What you mentioned about the perfect pulse generator matches what I've conceived, donkey ears included. Ed's design takes the BEMF and reintroduces it back into the system or 'makes all kinds of light'. There may be a little double entrendre in that statement, but that's a topic for another post.

Cap banks are the indeed the way to go. I think you will enjoy this:

They're using a universal controller based on the open source Arduino technology triggered with a Hall sensor. Although they do need a reed switch whereas with the design I have in mind it will not. This is the most impressive unit i have seen and it is quite similar to mine. Those caps are phenomenal.

Attached is the tesla patent that I mentioned...
  • Well maybe not exactly like it. (Ed's best machine) This is in one of the Ocoee hydro electric plants.
    The old ball governor was a item. Now all that is done hydraulic. This plant was originally a 1800s coal fire plant to produce steam. One of the oldest electric generator plants I have been in.

• thoughts from my pee brain:

A "brushless servo works as you describe". It is basically a pulse motor, either has magnets on the rotor, or "transferred" magnetism from external field coils (sometimes on ends). Like a old stepper motor, the pulses "step" around the stator pulsing the motor around following the magnetic fields.

The "stargate motor" mentioned before? (dc motor with a array of expensive magnets around it) in original format it has two pretty large magnets inside it's case, half rounded and like bar magnets. I had a dozen or so once on my tool gang box here. NOW, where the fun comes in? brush timing with magnetic fields. Some motors have brush adjustors and you tune the motor (armature magnetic fields) in at the right location for the load you are pulling off the fixed magnetic poles..

Then there is electric-field type dc motors.. a current circulates in the fields generating the field it pulls off of.. NOW a funny thing.. they used to put a huge rheostat in the field circuits to trim the speed of the motor (slightly) when the field would be "lost" due to a dirty place on the rheostat the motor would run "INSANE" tossing the chain into the 40 foot tall ceiling. Now, if they had that much more power without a field? why not switch it in and out?

Electric motors have not ever been designed economically on power, just cheap to produce and make. the most perfect motor I have saw is a 3 phase motor, poles are 120 degrees apart and it "steps" the field around the motor dragging the induced field in the rotor behind it. There is a lot that can be improved on them, no brushes to fail.

Ed's machine? well if you look at that powerplant westinghouse generator there you notice the windings on the rotor are facing outward.. not crossways like I remembered, meaning only "one" end of the magnetic field is passing the stator coils. Not exactly as Ed designed. His is sideways coils picking up both the magnetic fields on his horse shoe electromagnet. (now a generator) That would in effect double the "power picked up". (also double the required input energy?)
This discussion has been closed.